Wednesday 10 January 2018


When a loved one is lost ....

I have noticed that when people lose a loved one, they look for a memento of their memory to hold on to.  This can be a photo, a physical item that was loved or used by them or even a plaque for a tree or garden.  

These are lovely ways to remember loved ones, like the wonderful quote that says ... 

" When a loved one becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure ".

I am guilty of this too, as I have a memorial ring with this quote engraved on the inside of the ring. I wear it on certain days and wouldn`t part with it now.

When my husband died,  I told my children to remember a special memory they had of their father, place them in their hearts and lock them there.  When they felt sad, they could unlock these memories and cherish them as they cheered them up.  For though their father has died and gone to heaven, he would always be by their side, encouraging them throughout their lives.   

It was very important for me to do this, as it meant their father would with them and myself, therefore helping me to protect them.  I also did the same for me and I know he is always with me, especially through my writing.

Words can be more powerful than the sword, and yet as comforting as your favourite blanket that you can snuggle up all cosy with.  So while thinking of a loved one, poetry  is a beautiful and comforting way to do this.  It can be sincere, comical or very personal.  

So why not write a poem about a lost loved one to help you remember them, you can make is as emotional as you want, or just a note to say how much you miss them and that they will always remembered..

You don`t have to show your poem to anyone, you can lock it away somewhere special and read it when you need to, or you can share your poem with your family or friends if you feel you would like too.

Just remember it is always up to you and it helps you to remember your loved one is a special way !


Lissie



No comments:

Post a Comment