Tuesday 22 August 2017





Technology

My kids and their generation take technology for granted. They panic is they don't have their mobile phones with them !  If only they knew how we coped.
When I was their age it was so different.  The house phone was in the hall at the bottom of the stair, so no privacy.  There were no mobiles, internet, computers or freeview television.
We used our imagination and made our own entertainment and still had a great time.  People talked to each other, the art of conversation.  It saddens me to see friends out for a coffee but everyone is on their mobile texting or playing games and not interacting with the rest of their group!
If I needed to send a letter, I would sit down, get out my pen and writing pad and manually write a letter, put it in an envelope with a stamp and post it in a letter box. Now a days its an email or text.  It doesn't feel personal at all.  I love receiving a hand written letter.
I've heard that my kids are the generation of the future, bright, intelligent and forward looking.  They have internet, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and so much more.
So when I hear my kids saying that they are bored, I am amazed that they could even feel that way with so much entertainment to hand!  DS, Xbox, Playstation etc
What would they do with a power cut or loss of interest ? 
We have many board games in the house and they are a joy to play, I love hearing my kids laughing and chatting around the table as we play.
So in this age of technology, are we really moving forward ?  I feel that is debatable
Kids can appear to be isolated and in their own worlds with all the contents of the screens streaming  alien lands and far off battles. Much more interesting than this world !

Technology ... constantly changing, developing and upgrading !



1 comment: