Monday 15 April 2019


Day 14  of my NaPoWriMo Challenge 

Our prompt for the day (optional as always) takes its inspiration from Mali’s poem. As he shows us, there many words in English that sound like other words. For that matter, English has lots of words that look like other words, Today, we’d like to challenge you to write a poem that incorporates homophones, homographs, and homonyms, or otherwise makes productive use of English’s ridiculously complex spelling rules and opportunities for mis-hearings and mis-readings. 






To Higher Climes

This cliff path is a rocky one
uneven, and full of rocks
patches of soil to soil my clothes
as I stumble along my way
loose stones mock my journey
causing me to lose my footing

I need to put the brakes on this
before I break my ruddy neck
I`m not getting any younger
so I pause to catch my breath
I spy some soft down feathers
down amongst the wild gorse
sadly the weather is changing
need to decide whether I go on!
up here I can hear the sea
and see the sea gull soaring
should I reach the dizzy heights
or head back down to the headland?
maybe I`ll sit a while and ponder
the mysteries of these higher climes

(c)  Lissies Poems 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment