Thursday 18 April 2019


Day 18 of the NaPoWriMo Challenge

Today, I’d like to challenge you to write an elegy of your own, one in which the abstraction of sadness is communicated not through abstract words, but physical detail. This may not be a “fun” prompt, but loss is one of the most universal and human experiences, and some of the world’s most moving art is an effort to understand and deal with it. 

Where`s Mum?

Hospital smells so clinical
this room is cold and bare
my world is standing still

when everywhere else is a blur
rhythmic beeps heard on screen
the nurse said that was good
but now there is only silence
where sounds should be heard
I can hear someone crying, as
we`re ushered out of the room
people are sobbing and hugging
but no one is talking to me
I feel invisible, even forgotten 
where has my mother gone?
cups of hot drinks appear
and the nurse sits me down
tears run down my cheek
now I know I`m on my own

(C) Lissie Bull 2019







No comments:

Post a Comment