Wednesday 19 January 2022

Writer`s block

 



Writer's Block

Writing is such a big part of my life, expressing my emotions through poetry and sharing some of my poetry with others.
Letting my pen dance across my note pad, painting pictures using words from my heart. A poetic form of a diary.  Writing about everyday things and events.

This is a great coping mechanism for myself and for many people and also helps me look back over my emotional life.

However sometimes writing becomes difficult, my pen is unable to dance or paint new pictures. These can be hard times where emotions, experiences and even events are unable to be written about because of writer's block!

The best thing for me is to take a walk and do something completely different for awhile and then when I feel more relaxed, I can pick up my pen and try again. Most of the time this is all I need to do. Other times, I have to leave it a little longer and then try again.

The longer writer's block continues the worse it becomes. Frustration sets in and I find myself more determined to try to write. This can cause problems, like self doubt, feelings of failure and even giving up writing.
Added to this mix is the effect Covid has had on us all.  For me especially, the onset of anxiety has played it`s part.  I have struggled with this anxiety for months and after speaking with my doctor, medication was prescribed.  Sadly this made things worse for me and I wasn`t able to write at all.  So now it`s back to no meds and little bits of poetry and some lovely walks.

Poetry is a huge part of my life and very important to me. I started writing after being widowed and I feel that through my writing, I can keep my husband, Steve, with me always.

So never give up if you go through writer's block, for with time, you can pick your writing up again and create new poetry, essays or even a novel too !!

Lissie

No comments:

Post a Comment