Tuesday 28 April 2020


Depression.

This coronavirus and lockdown affects every single person, in every aspect of their lives. It`s frightening, worrying and even heart breaking. However,  it's a necessity heed these new rules to overcome this virus that's attacking our existence.

For me, well yes I'm staying indoors  other than the permitted exercise and shopping. Social distancing is slowly becoming the norm and I'm video chatting with my family more.

Its the unseen side of all this, that is not spoken about that much.  The loneliness  of being in a house with older kids who stay in their rooms "doing their own thing" Not being able hug my family not living with me or meeting up with friends and chat over a coffee. Going to visit places in the car or just walking along the beach, dipping my toes in the sea.

I miss my markets and chatting to fellow crafters about ideas and interests. Exchanging news or a memory.  The joy of the big fayres, getting the gazebo up and greeting people, feeling proud that they enjoy my poems and friendship Creatures. Meeting other poets and enjoying our love of poetry. 

There are other side effects to all this too...the loneliness and depression and the sinking feeling and panic too.  How well I earn enough to survive or pay the next bill, when will normality return?

Mental health is not talked about enough. It is a serious issue and many, many people don't want to talk about it and in some cases don't even understand it. Yet its them that most likely are suffering from mental health.  It has a taboo feel about it and there are plenty of people who walk away and refuse to help.

I have suffered on and off with depression and sadly it can affect my ability to write my poetry. This then brings me further down and can lead to a vicious circle of depression-writers block - depression.

I'm sure there are many people out there who go through the same type of experiences that I go through.  Its important to seek out help but not always easy to find,  especially now!

What are the answers?  I don't think there is just one solution for everyone. We are all different so it transpires there will be different solutions.  Acknowledging there`s a problem is the first step, then talking to people, let them know how you feel, is the second step.  What happens next is not always clear, especially during these uncertain times. Maybe join a group online, pick up the phone and speak to your doctor or family.

Please don't hide behind your door and suffer this alone, there is help out there,  you just need to reach out and ask for help.

Take care of yourselves and stay safe

Lissie
xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment