Tuesday 27 April 2021

Day 27 National Poetry Writing Month 2021

Prompt - write a poem inspired by an entry from The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows.


Nighthawk

laying my head on my soft pillow
snuggled up cosy in my big bed
drifting off to the land of dreams
when the nighthawk enters my head

pecking at the back of my mind
my sleep is suddenly abandoned. 
what about that uncompleted task?
he can be really underhanded

oh my, that second slice of cake
creating a huge nagging guilt
nighthawk just won`t let is pass,
without some sleep I`m going to wilt

in the morning he circles over head
while biding his time during my day
then finally I get ready to sleep
that`s when nighthawk comes out to play

(C) Lissie Bull 2021

1 comment:

  1. Lissie, this is really good. I love the image of the nighthawk pecking at the back of your mind. Brilliant

    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete